Education Pays

Posted: September 23, 2012 in Humorous Parenting

New York spends over $17,000 a year for a child to attend public school. Seventeen. Thousand. For one child.

On one hand, I look at Zuki and think, $68,000 dollars – for him to look at the clock and say,”It’s fifteen thirty.” Or “I runned in the cafeteria and falled down, so I didn’t ate anything.”

Which proves all the money in the world isn’t going to make somebody make sense.

And then there’s the other guy. Samu, who’s been working on his penmanship all summer long. Now that school has inspired him to achieve his goals, he’s putting his education to good use. “I need to make my Christmas list.”

Reserving the Vampyre Kastle

Armed with the Lego catalog he’s been studying every morning after breakfast, he wrote his list – neatly. Not only that, he estimated how much all the items would cost.

“Does Santa Claus have a lot of money?” He asked.

Well, nobody’s ever demanded that he show his tax returns, so I guess we’ll never know. Samu didn’t like that answer. He also didn’t buy that Santa runs a shop with elves making the toys because then it wouldn’t be “real Lego’s” but a generic copy. According to Samu, Santa collects money and orders everything. That’s why his list needed to get to there early. But just in case, Samu added a Metrocard to the list – should he have to pick it up himself.

Now that’s $17,000 worth of learning.

Advertisements
Comments
  1. Diplo Daddy says:

Good on the boy for getting his “wish list” in early. For that, he deserves a few extra goodies.

Only $17,000 per child? Heck, I would’ve thought the State of New York would be spending considerably more.

2. Have to agree with Diplo Daddy on both counts. LOL

3. Michelle says:

$17,000 per year? Per CHILD?! I don’t think we even spend that much on *roads* in Arkansas. Or shoes.
    Way to go, Samu! And maybe I should give Lily a Lego catalog. She’s been studying a Halloween costume catalog for weeks now, begging me to get her an Ariel wedding dress. Ummm, no.

• Nami says:

Any kid who studies catalogs is a born consumer but to sport an Ariel wedding dress for Halloween? That takes a specialist – please get her that dress.

4. Samu is a genius. Also, I love your new blog!! And OMG, no word verification. I’m going to kiss you when we finally meet, just for that!

• Nami says:

Thanks for saying he’s a genius when he’s actually a smart-ass. Thanks for the compliment – still trying to figure things out here – like how to edit the Blog reading list? Um, some help here.

5. 1. Dude that kid’s brilliant. 2. I’m with Bridget. I didn’t have the heart to tell you I hated your word verification. It’s like telling you that your breath stinks. You probably know but to have it verified…3. I was accidentally subscribed to you TWICE under my joint blog with Lenore. I’m sorry. I hope you weren’t excited but confused and then hurt and then really hurt when I unsubscribed. Twice. I shall now REsubscribe, hopefully once but maybe 3 times for shits and giggles.

• Nami says:

I’d do anything for shits and giggles but no, it never notified me that you had unsubscribed. Probably knows how sensitive I am. Anyhoo, I agree – that word verification thing is like trying to talk whale. Ermergerrrrrhd!

6. mamagrace71 says:

Seventeen, frickin’ thousand???
    Right, I need to check what the going rate here is in Sydney.
    Love the new blog, by the way. Very “you” (and yes, that’s a good thing!!!) 🙂 x

• Nami says:

We’re one of the nation’s highest. The other state is D.C. – that’s kind of sad when you gather there must be only a hundred kids in public school there.

7. ava says:

Smart kid! 🙂 I love how he itemized and put the corresponding estimated cost!
    As for Kazuki, I can relate! Mikaela is having a real difficult time with Filipino subject, this is on top of Reading too.

8. Your kids are awesome!
    Just think how much they are spending on kids with one-on-one aides like me! My salary + 17000!